Shadow State by Elyse Brayden

Thursday, July 5, 2018

What Brynn Caldwell can’t remember might get her killed.

Brynn is a promising science student recovering from a major setback: Last year, a bad relationship sent her spiraling into depression. But as she puts the pieces of her life back together, a few don’t fit.

Soon Brynn starts having flashbacks―hazy memories of being abducted and possibly brainwashed. It’s all connected to a wonder drug to treat PTSD that might actually be the ultimate weapon: a tool to control people’s memories. And Brynn can’t trust the people who know the truth―her best friend turned enemy, her genius scientist mother with a secret, and Brynn herself, whose memories might all be lies.

Now, to stop a possible terrorist attack, Brynn has to uncover what she’s been forced to forget―and learn what side she’s really on.

Elyse Brayden’s Shadow State is a pulse-pounding thriller that tackles homeland security, government conspiracy, and obsessive love, with a final-page plot twist you’ll never forget.


Published July 3, 2018 by Imprint
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble


My Thoughts
Brynn is a science genius who has frightening flashback of a time she doesn't remember. Her mother is uncovering a great drug that will cure those with PTSD, and the upcoming launch of this drug is causing more flashbacks than she cares for. She's got a great boyfriend, an ex-best friend that wants nothing to do with her, and an ex-boyfriend who she does her best to forget about.

Brynn is a great character, and I really enjoyed following her around. She's reasonable, curious, and a character I wanted to learn more about. Her story progressively rolled out as Brynn had more flashbacks, and it was interesting to learn about Brynn as she was learning about herself.

The plot is one of my favorite aspects of the book. Semi nerdy girl, check. Cute budding romance, check. Typical high school life, check. Mysterious plot, check. They're all different aspects of books that are thrown into this novel in a great way, so I really loved watching the story flow. It was fast-paced, didn't drag on, and continued to peak as the story went on. There weren't many lulls in the plot, and the parts that I thought didn't seem to fit into the plot were actually devices to throw you off in the mystery. the one aspect of the plot I didn't like was how short it was. Because this was so much go-go-go, they could have added another 50 pages and kept it more at a steady pace.

So I'm giving this a 3 out of 5 stars mostly because of that ending. I don't know what that was. It was confusing, frustrating, and I don't know why they thought that was the right way to end this book. There was so much potential with this, but it kind of just went off the deep-end with those last couple of pages. As I'm writing this review, I'm still confused with exactly what happened, and I even read it twice to make sure I was reading it correctly.

I definitely suggest picking this one up still, because it was a great read, just a disappointing ending.

Stars: 3 out of 5
What I Liked: Such an interesting idea, and it was quite a pageturner.
What I Disliked: Should have been longer, and the ending...?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top