Like Never and Always by Ann Aguirre

Sunday, July 22, 2018
On a hot summer night, a screech of brakes and shattering glass changes two lives forever.

Liv wakes in the hospital, confused when they call her Morgan. She assumes it’s a case of mistaken identity, yet when the bandages come off, it’s not her face in the mirror anymore. It’s her best friend Morgan’s.


Morgan always seemed to have the perfect life, yet Liv must navigate endlessly disturbing secrets of the criminal and murderous variety—and a romance that feels like a betrayal. Torn between the boy she loved as Liv and the boy she’s grown to love as Morgan, Liv still has to survive Morgan’s last request.


Published July 17, 2018 by Tor Teen
Goodreads  |  Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble

My Thoughts
Like Never and Always was a great mix of a contemporary and thriller, with slight hints of romance and semi-supernatural (if you can even call it that?). It follows Liv who wakes up after a terrible car accident and realizes she's in her best friend's body. Meanwhile, no one knows and everyone thinks Liv is dead. Liv has to carry on Morgan's life while uncovering the secrets that Morgan was keeping about her love life, family issues, and personal struggles. 

Liv was a fantastic narrator to follow, and I feel as though the situation was reversed (Morgan lived in Liv's body), it wouldn't have been as interesting of a story. Liv is smart, determined, and really doing well dealing with the whole situation. She realizes the severity of it, and she decides if she's going to be Morgan, she's going to do it right. 

I didn't really understand the romance aspect. Prior to the accident, Liv was dating sweet tempered Nathan, and Morgan was dating bad-boy Clay, who is Nathan's older brother. My assumption would be that this would be a huge issue once Liv was in Morgan's body, because she would want to be with Nathan all the time. While there's a slight hiccup in the beginning, Liv quickly stops longing for Nathan and remembering all the history they had and instead switches primarily over to Clay. It was really not what I expected from a teenage girl, and it made me slightly confused. I expected Liv to have more difficulty dealing with the situation. 

Besides that, the romance between Liv and Clay was perfect. You got to learn more about Morgan's personal life as well as Clay's history through this romance. It was very swoon-y at times, but I really enjoyed it! 


To those who are saying this book is thrilling, I would disagree. I was never on the edge of my seat waiting to know what was happening next – and that's totally okay! It was a mystery novel, as there were secrets to be uncovered and little clues along the way, but the pacing was never significant in this. Regardless, it was a great mystery! 

This was my first book by Ann Aguirre, and I really liked it! The writing was great, the characters were interesting, and the plot was something I hadn't seen before. I recommend this to anyone looking for a YA mystery. 

Stars: 4 out of 5 stars
What I Liked: Liv's voice, the mystery
What I Disliked: Weird handling of Liv & Nathan's prior romance

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top